Resources on Academia and Research
compiled by Wilson
your research by R. Hamming
- On getting into graduate school:
- On being a graduate student:
A PhD Is Not Enough: A Guide to Survival in Science, by Peter Feibelman.
How to Succeed
in Graduate School: A Guide for Students and Advisors, by Marie desJardins
Should Graduate Students Know Before Joining a Large Computer Architecture
Project?, by Shubhendu S. Mukherjee
the Network, by Philip Agre
How to do
Research At the MIT AI Lab, edited by David Chapman
for Theoretical Computer Scientists, by Ian Parberry
Slides on giving
interviewing, by Margo Seltzer
- Info on science careers,
from the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Graduate student survival guide, Stanford University Med School
Careers in Engineering:
A Student Planning Guide to Grad School and Beyond. ISBN: 0-309-05393-5
Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning a Master's
or a PhD, by Robert Peters. ISBN: 0-3745-2477-7
- CRA article
- On writing papers:
evaluation of the ninth SOSP submissions
-or- How (and how not) to write a good systems paper,
Roy Levin and David D. Redell, ACM SIGOPS Operating
Systems Review, 17(3):35-40 (July, 1983).
to get your paper accepted at OOPSLA, Alan Snyder, OOPSLA '91
Proceedings, pp. 359-363.
to get a paper accepted at OOPSLA, Ralph Johnson et al,
panel at OOPSLA'93, pp 429-436.
"The Task of the Referee", Alan Jay Smith, IEEE Computer,
23(4):65-71 (April 1990).
- On technical writing:
- Good Writing, by Marc Raibert.
- "The Science of Scientific Writing", by George D. Gopen and Judith
A. Swan, American Scientist, Volume 78, pages 550-558.
- The Elements of Style, by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White. The classic book on
writing. ISBN: 0-024-18200-1
- How To Write, by Herbert E. Meyer and Jill M. Meyer. A great overview of the writing process. ISBN: 1-566-19272-2
- Bugs in Writing, by Lyn Dupre. A rather long (but comprehensive) book on writing clean prose. ISBN: 0-201-60019-6
- On being a professor:
- Appropriate fiction:
- Small World, by David Lodge
- Changing Places, by David Lodge
- A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole
- Relevant magazines: